Saturday, April 3, 2021

Thinking is private

Someone who is swinging, looking out the window, fidgeting with a little toy, doodling or drawing, is probably doing some serious thinking. Let them.

In the same way that you might be quiet for someone taking a nap, it could be courteous not to interrupt the thoughts you can't see or hear.

Being nearby and available in case there's something the other person wants to share might be a good idea, but give thoughts space to flow.


The writing above is new here, but the page about needs is somewhat related.
Also, perhaps, other posts about parents being quieter.
photo by Ester Siroky

1 comment:

  1. Quoting from email feedback:


    Omg you hit it so often! I needed this today. My kids have all been going through some big changes, their ages are 14,12,10 and I find myself getting insecure or something and wanting to bug, what are you thinking? How are you feeling? And whatever! I am not sure how to be available and give space but I will keep trying. And one thing for sure, I will stop interrupting their process!
    Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!