Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Choose choices

"Children have to be taught to self-regulate." That "rule" is parroted by non-thinking parents with great regularity. It can be replaced with "I would like to help my child make thoughtful choices."

If you think of controlling yourself, and of your children controlling themselves, it's still about control. If people live by principles their choices come easily.
. . .
When you hear or say "They will self-regulate," think to yourself: "They will learn to make choices."

SandraDodd.com/self-regulation
Quote is from page 56 (or 61) of The Big Book of Unschooling.
photo by Sandra Dodd
__

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,
    I don't often comment, but I often love to read your posts here! I just put up a post on my personal family blog about my children's choices and linked to your page on 'The Value of Choices'. I also read at Always Learning when I get a chance, and undoubtedly, your writing and that list have helped my children have a wider variety of choices than they would have otherwise. Thank you.

    Nikole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! (It's here, if others want to follow that trail: http://verdemama.blogspot.com/2013/05/choices.html)

    How many great days like that add up to a happy childhood? :-)
    ALL of them!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!