Friday, March 20, 2015

Reading something strange and new

Sometimes I've been criticized for saying that I won't say my child is reading until he or she can pick something up and read it. Not something I planted and that they've practiced, but something strange and new. If I can leave a note saying "I've gone to the store and will be back by 10:30," and if the child can read that, then I consider that the child is reading. photo IMG_0055.jpg

Others want to say "My child is reading" if he can tell Burger King's logo from McDonald's. I consider that more along the lines of distinguishing horses from cows. Yes, it's important, and yes, it can be applied to reading, but it is not, itself, reading.


SandraDodd.com/r/real
clickable photo by Rippy Dusseldorp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...